Friday, September 6, 2013

Transfer Update

Yesterday was one of the most nerve-wracking days of my life. I was so nervous for the embryo transfer, and was really "not there" during most of my work meetings. I was getting ready to take A to Whole Foods to get some things before the transfer, when I looked down and saw I'd missed a call from our RE. I've never gotten a call an hour before a transfer before, so I knew it wasn't good news.

I tried calling him back, and he was doing another transfer. So of course, I was freaking out. I went downstairs and met with A and explained that I'd just gotten a message, and was pretty sure it meant that one of the embryos didn't make it. I was crying a little, and mostly just being a complete nutcase.

We went to Whole Foods and went back to my house for a few minutes to pick up Mr. Bee, who to my surprise, was on the phone in total lawyer mode with the clinic, trying to get ahold of the doctor. Apparently they'd tried to transfer him and disconnected, and in that short amount of time he'd gone into another appointment.

Because we really wanted to prepare ourselves before we went to the clinic, Mr. Bee stayed on the phone until he spoke to him. We got the news that I'd been dreading - that one of the embryos didn't survive the thaw. The good news was that the other one in the straw had, and was already hatching. Since we only had four embryos left, we had to decide if we wanted to unfreeze the remaining embryos and choose the best two to transfer, or if we just wanted to try one. Even though those were our last ones, we knew we'd have the best odds with two, so we unfroze all of the embryos.

We got to the clinic and waited a while before being seen by the doctor. When we got back to the room, he let us know that of the other two that were unthawed, one of those didn't look like it would make it either. I was a little crushed (and a lot overwhelmed), but really grateful to have two good ones. They gave A a valium, and Mr. Bee requested one for me so I could actually chill out and calm down for the transfer.

As far as that went, everything looked perfect. Our doctor let us know that A's lining looked amazing (something I've never heard myself!) and that she had an amazing obstetrical history. All good things to hear, although they'd probably be random compliments to hear on the street.

Mr. Bee ended up wearing a pink shirt and blue bow tie, and I had pink nails and blue toenails, just for a little extra luck.

So now we wait! A is so wonderful in person, and such a trooper. I'm so glad that through this process I've found a lifelong friend. I know a lot of people aren't as lucky.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, and I really hope to come back with good news soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment