Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fun with genetic testing

Today I registered my Genetic Testing kit. Yes, my doctor gave me a kit to make sure that I'm not a carrier for any crazy diseases since my mom's side of the family is Ashkenazi Jew. The kit tests for over 100+ genetic diseases including Maple Syrup Urine Disease.

Ok, I'm sure that it's a very serious disease, but I definitely laughed when I saw that.

It's not a blood test (breathe a sigh of relief if you hate needles), you literally spit into a tube (cringe if you hate bodily fluids as a whole). Then you send your tube in the mail and 2-3 weeks later you find out if you're a carrier for any of these frightening sounding diseases. I'd definitely rather know than be surprised, especially since my husband can be tested too if I do turn out to be a carrier for anything.

And as far as Cystie goes, I haven't had as much pain lately, so I'm really hoping that it's quickly shrinking and going away, and not just waiting to burst. I told Mr. Bee yesterday that I feel like I'm in the movie Saw just waiting for it to burst. I think that grossed him out. I know it's probably not a big deal, but it really freaks me out that something is taking up my small, tiny torso. I was going to write "something the size of a ______ is inside of me," but I googled "2 inches is the size of" and all that came up was micropenis. And that is when this conversation should end.

No comments:

Post a Comment